Sending a very special welcome to our FLI population! “FLI” is the language that Rice uses to refer to our population of students who identify as first generation and/or low income. As a FLI student, you are entering Rice with a set of experiences unique to you. Know that the identities, traditions, people, and places you hold close are important to your transition to Rice, your college-going years, and beyond. Each FLI student will have their own set of strengths they bring to Rice and will encounter their own set of challenges. During the highs, lows, and in-betweens, know that you have an abundance of resources available to support you, challenge you, and ultimately be a partner in your success.
Student Success Initiatives (SSI) is an office on campus that provides holistic support to students through one-on-one advising, peer mentorship, programming, and connections to campus resources. Our goal is to assist you in developing strategies to help you both inside and outside of the classroom.
- FLI Friday is a bi-weekly luncheon that is hosted by SSI and our FLI Ambassadors. The lunch invites students, faculty, and staff who identify as first gen and/or low income to hang out and build relationships.
- FLI Ambassadors are undergraduate students who identify as first generation and/or low income. These students are passionate about creating a FLI community where students can relax, unwind, and build connections. Our FLI Ambassadors are excellent mentors, organize events in-person and in the virtual space, and provide helpful tips to maximize your success at Rice. Click here to read more about how they find balance as students.
- Holistic Advising is our office's approach to supporting all first gen and continuing gen students from all undergraduate levels at Rice. Common topics include study skills, engaging with faculty, time management, and building personal connections on campus. You can request an appointment with an advisor by clicking the appointment button below or by reaching out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FLI Network Supporters is a training program for faculty and staff who want to learn more about their role in supporting FLI students in our community.
- The Pantry, the food pantry on campus, an anonymous resource for students that provides access to non-perishable foods and hygiene products.
- Accessibility funds are available for students who have unexpected expenses that they may need gap funding for in relation to basic needs and academic needs.
The SSI team is here and ready to help you as you enter into this new and exciting chapter of life. Even if you have a question and aren’t sure where to go – SSI is an excellent place to start! Please do not hesitate to reach out via email, phone, or by walk-in. We are located in the cloisters of the student center.
Your families and supporters will have an opportunity to learn about Rice’s resources by attending New Families Orientation (NFO) in August. NFO’s purpose is to introduce your supporters from home to life at Rice and answer any questions that they may have. It’s important to note that NFO is designed for both in-person and virtual engagement. Virtual engagement is an excellent option for all families – those who cannot attend in person, those who want to revisit materials at a later date, and those whose schedules require them to participate at their own pace.
Being a FLI student is a point of pride and is celebrated at Rice. We look forward to connecting, learning about your goals, and seeing all the amazing things you accomplish. As you have further questions regarding the FLI student experience at Rice, please contact Carli Rosati at email@example.com.